In Rorschach, Switzerland, Hermann Franke started a sheet metal business in 1911. By the late 1920s, the economy began to turn around in this industry and the construction sector has led to the merger of a sanitary installation department for the company. Mr. Franke started production of dormer windows, skylights, and oven tops.
During the 1930s, the Franke Company began manufacturing sink units in stainless steel, monel-metal, and nickeline. Franke then built a new facility with residential buildings and offices, where the ten employees then relocated out to Aarburg, Switzerland. The Franke Company commenced the first series of products including the first welded, sink units.
Hermann Franke passed away on January 25, 1939, and Walter Franke, his son, began running the business. Due to the difficulties of World War Two of acquiring materials, the company was almost at a standstill. It wasn’t until after the war that Franke’s facilities began to expand, which now at the time, started to include a full line of kitchen sinks. This is the time when Franke began to export their products all throughout Europe.
Do to the rapid increase in the construction segment; the business began to rapidly expand. Franke Company was the leader in the state of the art sinks for the kitchen. By 1950, the Sanitary and Washroom Equipment product was started as part of the Franke Company’s wide array of products for public and residential bathrooms. By 1955, Franke had their first foreign investment out of Germany, and the company had well over 475 employees.
By the late 1950s, Franke Company’s doubled production due to high demand and more factories were expanded. The “Commercial Kitchens”
For the next twelve years, the company had experienced record growth. They had thirteen subsidiaries and two companies began to manufacture for Franke under a license. By 1972, Franke installed and built the first ever kitchen for the McDonalds in Munich, Germany. By the time 1974 rolled around, the company had employed more than 2,500 employees. The ownership of Franks, in 1975, changed ownership. Walter Franke’s business partner and friend Mr. Willi Pieper took over the reins of the company, and two more licenses were added as well as four more subsidiaries for the company. In 1979, the company introduced their now world famous compact sink system. By the late 1980s, the establishment of divisional organization took place.
In 1989, Michael Pieper joined the Group Management. Consistent and rapid expansion had now transformed the Franke Company into worldwide operations as a corporate group. As of today, Franke employs over 12,500 employees worldwide throughout 70 differing countries in Asia, Australia, Africa, Europe, and North and South America.