Who would have dreamed that a shocking burst of hot water at an unexpected moment would inspire a young college student in the 1930s to design the world’s first mixing faucet? Washingtonian Al Moen was but a college student working his way through school when an old-fashioned faucet provided the inspiration he needed to change the way that the world looks at plumbing. His initial mixing faucet design with a single handle sold only 250 faucets but went on to be the basis behind the Moen single handle faucet which is a household standard in over 55 countries around the globe and Moen is now the number one brand in household plumbing.
Moen’s Famous Industry Firsts
Moen’s slogan, “Buy it for looks, buy it for life” – epitomizes the place that Moen has arrived at after years of innovations and plumbing industry firsts. Although most famous for introducing the plumbing world to the single-handle mixing faucet, Moen has many other accomplishments under its belt. Included in Moen’s bragging rights are:
- ease of maintenance through the use of washer-less cartridge systems
- faucet aerator that would allow the water flow to change from stream to spray (Swing ‘n’Spray)
- faucet that lift ten inches above the sink (Riser product line)
- reduction in “shower shock” by creating pressure balanced shower valves
- first to offer lifetime warranties on plumbing products
- first to offer consumer support for do-it-yourself installation and replacement of their products via a toll free number
Moen’s Innovative Growth
Moen is always on the cutting edge of innovative ideas for the plumbing industry. Among Moen’s many technological advances, consumers now enjoy the following Moen products:
- ChoiceFlo faucets. The ChoiceFlo faucet is a filtering faucet that allows the user to choose between filtered or unfiltered water, right at the tap.
- Aberdeen pulldown faucets. Moen’s patented Aberdeen pulldown faucets stop the flow of water with just the touch of a pause button.
- Immersion shower technology. Moen’s Immersion rain shower technology provides a unique shower pattern that is reminiscent of water being poured from a watering can.
- Life Shine finish. Moen sets the bar for durable finishes with Life Shine.
Moen’s Green Efforts
Moen is a very environmentally conscious company that has made a significant amount of effort to reduce the impact that their manufacturing efforts and their end products have on the planet. Moen builds many showerheads
, faucets, and filtration systems
that use less water than similar products made by other manufacturers and is also actively working to increasing recycling efforts and decreasing water consumption in their plants and facilities. In addition, 70% of all the water used in testing Moen’s products is reused by Moen and 90% of the scrap metal in product returns to Moen is recycled.