|What could be more relaxing that a nice long soak in a hot tub? Perhaps you prefer a quick swim or to sit in a hot, steamy sauna? Once available only in spas, gyms, and luxury hotels, you can now enjoy these comforts in the privacy of your own home. Most homeowners don't have the space or the money for a hot tub, a pool, and a sauna, but you can find all these functions, and more, in a steam shower.
Steam showers provide many functions that other showers cannot. First, they are shaped like a traditional stall with typical fixtures, which allows you to enjoy an invigorating morning shower. A steam shower can also act as a bathtub or hot tub. To function as a sauna, a generator releases hot water vapor through the ceiling. The shower stall is constructed of heat resistant material that can withstand temperatures of 90-115 degrees Fahrenheit and is sealed to prevent moisture damage to the rest of the bathroom.
In addition to the obvious benefits of relaxation, a steam shower offers a number of potential health benefits.
- Water jets act as massagers to relieve and rejuvenate achy muscles.
- Heat helps to increase blood circulation and alleviate arthritis and fatigue.
- umidity can aid in removing toxins from the body through sweat.
- Humidity can also clear sinuses and benefit the respiratory system.
- Essential oils may be added to the water vapor to provide calming or mood lifting aromatherapy.
Steam showers can be equipped with an almost endless combination of accessories to create the home spa of your dreams. Whether your needs are practical or extravagant, you can customize a steam shower to your specifications. Custom options can be as simple as a timer or a bench seat, which can both make it easier to relax in a bath or sauna. More indulgent accessories include telephone jacks, television screens and iPod docks. Your steam shower can even be fitted with a call button for emergency use and routine customer service calls.
Pros and Cons
There are numerous benefits to a steam shower, but there are also a few possible drawbacks to consider.
- Steam showers are made of special materials and sealed to be mildew-resistant, but will still need to be periodically drained, cleaned, and inspected.
- It can be a challenge to find a pre-made model to fit your existing bathroom. Fortunately, custom-designed units are available at added expense.
- Hot water is used quickly in a steam shower, but overall, they're more efficient than traditional bath and shower units.
- Steam showers can range in price from $2,000 to $10,000, which is more expensive than traditional shower units. However, steam showers usually add resale value to your home.
Before purchasing and installing a steam shower, consult an experienced contractor for assistance in selecting the right steam shower for your bathroom. It is also advisable to hire a licensed plumber to install the unit.
With some research and a little creativity, you can find a steam shower that suits your needs and fits perfectly into your bathroom.